Yonkers, NY 10701
Salary: $17.00 /hour
Build a brighter future…For those with special needs AND for yourself!
Since 1947, Jawonio has advanced the independence, well-being and equality for people with disabilities and special needs. We take tremendous pride in making a positive difference in the lives of the individuals and families whom we support and now we’re looking for a compassionate and caring person who wants to enrich their own life and the lives of others by working alongside a talented team of professionals in a working environment of personal accountability, mutual respect and most of all a true sense of teamwork.
Summary: The Habilitation InstructorProvides leadership to the staff assigned to their groups and develops, coordinates, schedules and facilitates activities for developmentally-disabled consumers enrolled in Day Habilitation and/or Pre-vocational Services, by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Consults with supervisor to plan and coordinate joint consumer and management objectives. Develops and implements activities related to habilitation goals and interest areas, including volunteer sites, community integration, self-advocacy, disability issues, and personal development.
- Develops and implements program activities, curriculum’s and lessons. Instructs and/or participates with consumer and staff activities.
- Formulates individualized service plans including assessment summary, progress notes, data collection, etc. Chairs consumer case conferences; presenting treatment plan progress and goals for program
- Completes required Medicaid compliance documentation for individuals assigned. Ensures that DSPs complete daily logs and tracking.
- Ensures program area is clean and safe. Ensures various supplies, equipment and other materials are in good supply, are stored correctly and are in good repair.
- Assists other staff members taking consumers on and off vans, providing physical support, as individual/program needs require.
- Perform ADL/personal care activities for consumers, as well as behavioral interventions, as needed.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies: Interpersonal – Maintains confidentiality; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things. Team Work – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Puts success of team above own interests. Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively. Change Management – Monitors transition and evaluates results. Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities. Leadership – Inspires and motivates others to perform well. Managing People – Adaptability – Changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Instruction: able to plan activities and lessons, teach and coach other staff related to the lesson plan implementation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A bachelor’s degree in a related field including, but not limited to: sociology, special education, rehabilitation counseling, and psychology; and two years of experience with intellectually disabled and/or physically/multiply disabled. And/or equivalent combination of education and experience.