New City, NY
The Chief Program Officer (CPO) is a key member of the Executive Management Team and will oversee the performance of several of the agency’s programs. Reporting to the Associate Executive Director, the CPO is responsible for leading and managing the assigned internal affairs of the organization to ensure the successful accomplishment of its mission. The CPO directs, administers and coordinates the activities of the programs in accordance with policies, goals and objectives established by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Board of Directors. As a member of the Executive Management Team, the CPO will be a key participant in the development of strategic goals that cover program/company operations, personnel, financial performance, and growth. The CPO must have experience supervising staff in diversified programs, oversight of OPWDD services, vocational/employment programs and economic development in a non-profit, human services agency. Experience working with individuals with Intellectual Developmental Disabilities, Chronic Medical conditions and Mental Illness highly desirable.
The CPO will provide strategic leadership and direction to develop and nurture a dynamic organizational culture that embraces growth, a team approach, and creative thinking. The CPO will work collaboratively with other members of the Executive Management Team to ensure that all programs operate seamlessly to promote the vision of the agency. He/she must be able to positively relate to a diverse array of cultural and economic groups and can implement policies that advance the company’s strategic growth plans.
- Demonstrate a value for the human dignity and worth of staff, clients and stakeholders and cultivate this expectation throughout the organization.
- Oversee select Senior-program staff and provide support in all elements of program and related administrative areas
- Assure program and agency compliance with local, State and Federal regulatory agencies, as well as all internal compliance standards
- Direct staff in the development and monitoring of program budgets with a focus on staying within budget through tight internal controls
- Works collaboratively to direct and expands IT initiatives across agency, maximizing use of software and preparing for managed care in IDD services and value-based payments
- Create an organizational environment that reflects an absolute commitment to mission and the continuing pursuit of quality improvement throughout the organization.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, financial health, stability, and capacity across all programs.
- Promote an environment of continuous staff development. Anticipate trends, events, problems, and opportunities and act as a catalyst initiating and leading change.
- Focus on a strategic direction aimed at increased revenue generation through innovative programming
- Represent agency at local, state and national meetings/conferences
- Ensure that the senior management team acts as a team that aligns the entire agency towards its critical objectives.
- Direct and assist Program staff in after-hour emergencies
- Ensure that the organization acts according to the highest legal, ethical, and professional standards in provision of services and in documentation of those services.
- Create an environment that attracts and retains high performers. Encourage people to communicate candidly regarding problems, obstacles, and risks.
- Ensure efficient and effective operations through sound business, ethical, programmatic and fiscal practices throughout the organization.
- Assess viability of programs and implement a business plan that prioritizes programs and projects going forward.
- Develop new sources of earned income from new, increased business opportunities and service growth that are independent of State funding and align with organizational mission
- Actively seek collaboration through partnerships with government entities, community-based groups, and private sector agencies. Explore possible mergers and acquisitions of like-minded organizations that will maximize sustainability and growth of mission driven programming.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- The candidate should have a minimum of ten years progressive management experience (diversified programs) in a non-profit human services agency. Must have experience with OPWDD services, vocational/employment programs and economic development.
- Executive management experience preferred.
- Masters’ degree in Human Services or a related field is required.
- Experience with managing program operations, budgets, compliance, facilities oversight, and Information Technology a must.
- Managed care experience preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- after hours response a must.
- Reputation as a team builder with demonstrated success leading, motivating and collaborating with a large group of professional and direct service staff.
- Ability to articulate Jawonio’s message to a broad range of constituents and the general public.
- Passion and dedication to Jawonio’s mission. Unquestioned integrity and values.
- Commitment to change/improvement – creating a culture that always looks to improve.
- Sound judgment/decision making in order to deal with the complexities and uncertainties in the non-profit marketplace.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Innovative/entrepreneurial/creative/high energy.