New City, NY 10956
Salary: $100,000.00 to $130,000.00 /year
Build a brighter future…For those with special needs AND for yourself!
Since 1947, Jawonio has advanced the independence, well-being and equality for people with disabilities and special needs. We take tremendous pride in making a positive difference in the lives of the individuals and families whom we support and now we’re looking for a compassionate and caring person who wants to enrich their own life and the lives of others by working alongside a talented team of professionals in a working environment of personal accountability, mutual respect and most of all a true sense of teamwork.
Purpose: The Director of Human Resources will align his/her scope of work with Jawonio’s Mission, while incorporating Jawonio’s Core Values as the guiding principle for all work activities.
Summary: The Director of Human Resources is responsible for the people strategy of the organization. S/he will direct and manage the agency’s Human Resources functions, including the administration of employee relations policies and procedures, HR Compliance, Leadership Development, Employee Engagement, Talent Acquisition, Compensation & Benefits, Organizational Effectiveness and Labor Relations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Oversees the adherence to employee relations policies and procedures; provides guidance, training, and counsel to directors and supervisors on interpretation, administration and enforcement of agency policies. Develops and recommends for adoption new, modifications and changes in policies and procedures to stay in compliance with legal requirements, trends in the economy and public policy, etc.
· Provides guidance, counseling and support for agency employees in interpretation of policies and to assist them on work-related difficulties and problems. Recommends to employees, career and job decisions to assist them on the job and in the development of professional and job skills. Oversees and expands the career growth ladder program.
· Oversees and carries out the agency’s compensation program, implementing policies, overseeing pay scales, performance and other salary adjustments, changes in employee functions, works with consultant regarding compensation issues, scale adjustments, etc.
· Reviews with administration benefits programs to ensure agency plans meet the needs of employees at the best value cost to the agency and are administered effectively by the Human Resources Department. Recommends changes in plans and other adjustments to keep benefits program current and effective. Recommends alternative or new insurance plans as fiscal and agency environment allows.
· Administers and oversees the record-keeping and completion of appropriate forms and reports related to compliance with state, local and federal employment, wage and hour and related regulations. Oversees or directly manages the agency’s HRIS base, entering data, preparing reports, etc. Maintains personnel and medical files on all agency staff. Prepares a wide range of reports, statistics and records for use by administration, the Board and as may be required as part of the agency’s monthly and yearly report policy.
· Prepares for issuance a variety of communications, memos and letters to agency personnel on administrative, employee relations and related issues. May conduct or arrange employee meetings for dissemination of information, discussion, or reports by the Executive Director/CEO. Writes own correspondence, letters or memos as may be required.
· Carries out a broad range of health and safety functions, including compilation of employee incident reports, completion of worker’s compensation forms, liaison with insurance companies, etc. Answers questions, provides information; sits on employee incident committees to determine possible remedial action to improve consumer, employee and agency safety.
· Establishes, recommends or arranges for training for agency personnel. Presents various in-service training to supervisors on human resources issues such as sexual harassment, hiring, performance reviews, disciplinary process, and other topical issues.
· Performs a variety of management and leadership functions, including participating in employment, orientation and training of new employees; provides training and retraining; carries out performance appraisal reviews, recommending salary increases, discipline, termination and other supervisory activities related to the operation and smooth running of the department.
· Carries out special assignments, prepares reports, and oversees other projects directed by the Executive Director related to general administration, Human Resources matters and Board of Directors activities.
· Implements employee relations activities as scheduled or appropriate, including developing budgets, planning, and implementing events or activities. Relates with agency personnel and supervisory staff to ensure positive employee culture is presented and maintained. Events/activities may include internal newsletter, longevity program, holiday party, etc.
o Maintains safe orderly work area and work practices
o Performs other duties as required
· Contribute to the development, implementation and monitoring of programs to promote Diversity, Equity and Inclusion within the Company. Ensure that inclusion and diversity initiatives are clearly communicated, understood and successfully implemented; enhance the organizational culture ensuring an inclusive and highly engaged work environment; and improve staff interaction at all levels
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
10 years of progressive experience in Human Resource Management, Master’s degree or Juris Doctor degree preferred; SPHR or PHR certification
Experience working in regulated environment and experience with OPWDD/OMH/SED/DOH
Ultipro experience preferred
OSHA certification on general industry standards or willingness to complete training