New City, NY
Build a brighter future…For those with special needs AND for yourself!
Since 1947, Jawonio has advanced the independence, well-being and equality for people with disabilities and special needs. We take tremendous pride in making a positive difference in the lives of the individuals and families whom we support and now we’re looking for a compassionate and caring person who wants to enrich their own life and the lives of others by working alongside a talented team of professionals in a working environment of personal accountability, mutual respect and most of all a true sense of teamwork.
The Mental Health Counselor II, PROmiSe (PROS), conducts individual and group counseling/teaching by facilitating specific Personalized Recovery Oriented Services curriculum. Provides on-going support and counseling as necessary, specific to needs of each individual participant. Coaches and uses motivational techniques to help consumers develop to their potential. Completes all mandated reporting requirements by Jawonio and regulating agencies including but not limited to monthly service plans, case notes, progress incident and discharge reports and Medicaid required documentation. You will attend all required interdisciplinary and team conferences and special meetings, both in and outside of the agency, to determine appropriate programs and plan for program participants. Communicates and confers with involved professionals to ensure regular follow-up, progress review and modification as needed. Carries out crisis intervention as necessary. A very exciting opportunity to become a part of a talented multi-disciplinary team.
Education & Experience:
- Must meet NYS Office of Mental Health guidelines for professional staff who are qualified by credentials, training and experience including but not limited to the following: NYS or nationally certified creative arts therapist; NYS credentialed alcoholism & substance abuse counselor; certified or master’s level rehabilitation counselor; a licensed certified, master, clinical, or NYS Education Department MSW social worker; or nationally certified therapeutic recreation specialist; or other staff with specified training or experience in the care or treatment of individuals diagnosed with mental illness.
- A valid NY State Driver’s License and ability to drive and driving record acceptable for agency insurance coverage are required. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office required.
- Must be clear and maintain an acceptable record under the Medicaid Fraud & Abuse clearance process.
- Candidates must be cleared and maintain acceptable record under the NYS mandated criminal background check process.
- Remain current in all required trainings.
- May require late afternoon, early evening hours and/or Saturday hours based on program need.
- May support and assist group social, recreational and cultural trips.
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Jawonio, Inc. does not base employment decisions on an individual’s race, color, sex/gender, genetic predisposition, sexual orientation/preference, religion, age, national origin, disability, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Jawonio, Inc. may make reasonable accommodations to enable applicants to participate in the hiring process and employees to perform the essential functions of their job. Please advise us if you need assistance with the application and/or interview processes.
Please Understand: Jawonio is a great place to work. We receive hundreds of applicants annually and also appreciate your interest working for Jawonio, Inc. Due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions.